Comtech EF Data’s SLM 5650A Satellite Modem is compliant with the strict requirements defined in MIL-STD-188-165A, modem types I, II, IV, V and VI for applications on DSCS, WGS and commercial satellites. Data rates from 8 kbps to 155 Mbps and symbol rates from 32 ksps to 64 Msps are supported.
The modem provides standard MIL-STD-188-114 (EIA-530 / RS-422), and EIA-613 (HSSI) serial interfaces, and can be optionally configured to support G.703 and Low Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS) serial interfaces. It can also optionally be equipped with a 4-port 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet Network Processor module that supports switching, routing and advanced Quality of Service protocols.
The SLM-5650A can be integrated with the Vipersat Management System (VMS) to provide fully automated network and capacity management. An AES-256 TRANSEC module, compliant with the FIPS-140-2 NIST standard is also available as an option. All traffic (including overhead and all VMS control traffic) is encrypted when using the TRANSEC module.
Advanced forward error correction (FEC) capabilities are a Comtech EF Data standard feature. Viterbi, Trellis, Concatenated Reed Solomon, Sequential, Turbo Product Codes and Low Density Parity Check codes (LDPC) are all supported.
Advanced FEC and modulation capabilities are integrated with the revolutionary DoubleTalk® Carrier-in-Carrier® bandwidth compression allowing for maximum state-of-the-art performance under all conditions. This combination of advanced technologies enables multi-dimensional optimization, allowing satellite communications users to:
- Minimize required satellite bandwidth
- Maximize throughput without using additional transponder resources
- Maximize availability (margin) without using additional transponder resources
- Enable use of a smaller BUC/HPA and/or antenna
- Or, a combination of the above to meet specific mission needs
Direct sequence Spread Spectrum is available as an option in conjunction with LDPC-based FEC and BPSK modulation. Spreading factors up to 128 are supported. Spread spectrum results in operation with ultra-low power spectral densities. This enables use of small antenna apertures when adjacent satellite interference (ASI) is an important consideration. It can also be utilized to provide low probability of detection / intercept (LPD/LPI) operation and/or strong resistance to jamming.
The IF interface supports 52-88, 104-176, and 950-2000 MHz frequency ranges.
Carrier-in-Carrier® is a Registered Trademark of Comtech EF Data
DoubleTalk® is a Registered Trademark of Raytheon Applied Signal Technology
- MIL-STD-188-165A compliant (Types I, II, IV, V, VI)
- Selectable 70/140 MHz and 950‑2000 MHz IFs
- AES-256 TRANSEC, FIPS-140-2 L2 certified
- Dynamic bandwidth allocation with Vipersat Management System
- Support for bridged point-to-multipoint network architecture
- DoubleTalk® Carrier-in-Carrier® bandwidth compression
- BPSK, QPSK, OQPSK, 8PSK, 16-QAM
- Viterbi, Reed Solomon, Trellis, Sequential, Turbo Product Code (TPC) and Low Density Parity Check FEC
- FEC rates 1/1, 5/16, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and others
- Direct sequence spread spectrum, integer factors 2-128, plus 256 and 512
- 8 kbps to 155 Mbps
- IESS-308, -309, -310, -315
- ASYNC RS-485 overhead channel & AUPC
- Asymmetrical loop timing & data source bit synchronization
- Ethernet interface for remote control using HTTP, Telnet and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
- EIA-485 and EIA-232 interface for remote control
- Secure Commercial Networks
- Communications at-the-Pause
- Communications on-the-Move
- Rugged Environments
- Secure Networks
Learn More About…